Last week was one of the most emotionally taxing weeks of
school I’ve ever experienced, and I know it’s only going to get worse from
here. Slowly but surely, I have to say
goodbye to my schools, and part ways with my students. To be honest, some classes have been easier
than others. I hate to admit that I
don’t always remember my students’ names – I just teach too many kids spread
out over five elementary schools and three kindergartens – but for the kids who
quiz me during passing period (“What’s my name?
What’s her name?”) and really make an effort to connect with me, it’s
been tough.
It makes me hopeful and excited when I see my students’
faces light up when they see me in the hallway, even when they know it's the day I teach at their
school - it’s as if they’re continually
surprised that I show up. For the
younger ones, it’s because they think I travel from “the big city” (or heck,
even sometimes from the U.S.) just to teach their classes. But for the older ones, it’s sometimes like
they don’t trust the routine that’s been established the last two years. Like, maybe
I won’t show up this time.
But having to explain to students that this is the last time has been
difficult. It’s the disappointment on
some of their faces that kills me – that realization that this is really
happening, and that ambiguous “America” they’ve been hearing about for the last
month is a concrete place, and I’m going there.
![]() |
| With the last lesson at this kindergarten, even though I've only had three months with them, one of the boys said: "I've enjoyed English! Good luck in America!" :'( |
I’ve been pretty good at keeping it together while in class
in front of the kids – putting on clownish smiles to keep some of the younger
kids from getting teary-eyed. Until I
taught at school KU in the mountains.
All of the students knew that it was our last lesson together, and I
tried to keep their lessons as fun and normal as possible. At the end of the lessons, we’d take group
pictures, smile, hug, exchange notes and cards, and say “Bye bye! Shee you!”
like we always do.
![]() |
| It was hard saying goodbye to this genki bunch at school KU. So far, I'm the only ALT they've ever had. D': |
But for my combined second and third grade class, some of
them just weren’t having it. Some of the
kids pouted and gave me the stink eye for the whole 45 minutes. When it came to photos, one of the third
grade boys in particular refused to smile, and refused to stand close to the
rest of the group. As the pictures
snapped, his eyes became glassy and red.
His homeroom teacher pulled him aside, and reprimanded him for “ruining
the pictures” and that “Alliey Sensei wouldn’t want to look at pictures of him
crying.” It was then that he completely
lost it, and his tears came freely.
I was honestly surprised by his reaction; he was always one
of my gekiest students, and didn’t
seem to mind much when we told his class the news that I was leaving. It was rough, trying to shush his tears and
remind him that a new, exciting teacher from far away would be coming soon. Strangely, I’m comforted by the thought that
a new ALT will come in August to teach at the schools. Most of my students will start forgetting
about me, and my lessons will start melding together with my predecessor’s
lessons, and become just an ambiguous ALT memory. I know that by next month when my successor
arrives it’ll be easier for them to be excited for English class again, however
it doesn’t lessen the sting of saying goodbye now.
To anyone who doubts the relevancy of the JET Program, let
me make this clear: This has never been “just a job.” I would not commit myself to living in the inaka for three years, far away from
family and friends, if this was “just a job.”
I would not stay up to all hours of the night and into the morning
working on classroom materials and lesson plans, paying for supplies out of
pocket, if this was “just a job.” I
would not spend my breaks playing game after game of onigoko if this was “just a job.”
But this isn’t just my job; if it was, then it wouldn’t be
so hard to say “Bye bye! Shee you!”
like we always do.


No comments:
Post a Comment