As I spend my last days in Japan
(while still in the year 2011), I feel that Christmas is definitely on its
way. I’ve spent this whole week teaching
winter holidays – with an emphasis on Christmas – and everywhere around town,
there are light displays, decorations and Christmas music playing in every
store (they LOVE Mariah Carey, by the way).
On my way to the grocery store one evening, I came across this Christmas display put together by the local volunteer community garden. The Santa's a little creepy looking, but overall I thought it was a pretty sweet display.
Over the weekend, I saw some JETs
before we parted ways for the holidays at a Christmas Party in Gobo.1 The restaurant is a Hawaiian themed burger
joint, and I have to admit I was pretty skeptical about the quality of burgers
at this particular place. As a
Californian, I have been spoiled seeing as I’ve been brought up on In-n-Out
Burger, and I had yet to find a satisfactory burger here in Japan. Case in point, enter Hale Kau Kau. Hale Kau Kau is a “Hawaiian Paradise” smack
dab in the middle of Waka. The place was
really cute, the staff was super friendly, it had Spam musubi all over the
place, but the burgers were the scene stealers.
I’m certainly not a big burger aficionado or anything, but without
contest, these were the best burgers I’ve had in Japan. But they could still work on the French
Fries. ;)
![]() |
| An appetizer of Spam musubi, entree of Hawaiian burger with fries, and a collection of sweets for dessert. Very yummy! |
At the holiday party, we also had a
white elephant gift exchange. Our limit
was ¥500 ($6.41 USD), and since I knew we were going to be at a Hawaiian
restaurant, I decided my gift should follow the theme. They LOVE Stitch here, so I racked the ¥100
Shop for Stitch-related items. I settled
on making a “Catch the Stitch Game,” which included a banner with Stitch on it,
a shooter gun to catch your alien with, and a 2012 calendar and lanyard with
Stitch on them. Hopefully the person who
got that gift likes Stitch. My gift came
with a poem:
Dealing with this gift could be rough,
But is it full of hot stuff?
Don’t push your luck!
Two of them suck,
But that’s what you get…in a white elephant love.
So what was my gift?
The first two books in the Twilight
series, a beer and package of gummy bears to help me “get through
them”. The poem did say they’d suck.
![]() |
| They haunt me where ever I go... Photos courtesy of D. Porter |
I’ve also “celebrated” Christmas
with our Deep South Movie Night crew.
This week was my turn to pick the movie, and my theme was 50 years in
the past or future. Since it was the
holidays, I chose two movies for the group to pick from. The first being the 2000 remake of How The Grinch Stole Christmas starring
Jim Carrey (I took my cue from the fact that Dr. Seuss’ book was published in
1957 and the television special was produced in 1966), the second being the
film that we actually saw. For the
second film, I cheated a bit and chose a movie from 1964 – Babes in Toyland was
the only “Christmas” movie that came out in 1961 and that film has always
scared me – but it has the prestige of being one of IMDb.com’s “100 Worst Films
of All Time” and was awarded the Razzie for “Worst Christmas Movie of All
Time.” What could this movie possibly
be? Santa Conquers the Martians.
Yep. It’s just as bad as the
title suggests. Martians kidnap Santa Claus because Martian children watching Earth programs on television get depressed after watching how happy he makes Earth children. If anyone is truly
interested in watch the cringe-inducing awkwardness of this movie, you can
watch the whole thing in its entirety on YouTube. I give it one star: a half star for the
creative sci-fi influence on a typical “Christmas flick,” and another half star
for its awesome theme song: “Hooray for Santy Claus!”
My students are still boggled by
the fact that, in America, Christmas is a holiday spent with family and
friends. Here, it’s largely considered a
“couple’s holiday.” They live for
Christmas cake (yellow cake with vanilla frosting and strawberries), whereas
the best equivalent we have is fruit cake, most notably used as a door stop. I’ve gotten some pretty creative questions
from the students about Christmas like “How old is Santa Claus?”, “How tall is
your Christmas tree?”, “Why was Rudolph born with a red nose?”, etc. And of the students I’ve had the opportunity
to teach – the material was too difficult for younger grades – they were
insanely curious about Hanukkah. Like I
said in an earlier post, they liked the idea that Hanukkah is eight days long
(and you get presents for each of those eight days) but they also asked rather
thoughtful questions like why the Jewish people were pushed out of their land
and why the lights burned for eight days.
Since I’m no expert in Judaism, I’m not sure if my answers were totally
accurate, but I appreciated their curiosity and willingness to learn about a
holiday from a religion that most of them had never heard of before. Maybe students from the larger cities and
prefectures know all about Hanukkah, but I like to think that I was able to
broaden the horizons of a few students down here in my slice of Waka.
But back to Christmas, this whole
week was dedicated to Christmas with a slideshow presentation of Christmas
pictures and vocabulary, Christmas carols, puzzle activities and – my favorite
game in the whole-wide-world – Jeopardy!2 After asking my JTEs if we could use more
technology in class, I was able to show them in real-time that, when planned
out, technology can be used to our advantage.
All we used was a simple PowerPoint presentation and some sing-a-long videos
saved from YouTube, but it made all the difference in the world, especially at
the school I was at this week. They are
extremely active, and if you lose their interest for even a millisecond, it
takes the whole rest of class period to bring them back at attention. Being in a different classroom automatically grabs
their attention just by being in a new environment, and they know the lesson
will be more unconventional than me just reciting paragraphs from the textbook,
which piques their interest. Besides,
this particular school has a fully furnished media room decked out with
computers and a giant flat-screen T.V., but they never use it.
I used this video in class to play "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," which in Japanese is Akahana no Tonakai. The Abominable Snowman was always their favorite part.
The PowerPoint was pretty basic,
but it was the Jeopardy game that got them really excited. Not only is it a way to check their listening
comprehension from the presentation, but also gives them a chance to work
together as a team to come up with the answer and lets them use up their
energy. Even the more “difficult”
classes participated and tried. There
were four teams in each class, and five questions per category ranging from
10-50 points (three in total: Santa Claus Facts, Christmas Decorations and
Christmas Food). While there were of
course some students who took the lesson as an opportunity to catch up on their
beauty sleep or to act out for attention, I was pleased to see most of the
students’ competitive natures take over as they participated and worked with
one another to come up with the answers.
“This yummy dessert can be made into cookies or into a
house.”
“Houseo? Houseo!”
“Chiga! Ginger nani-nani.”
“Ginger pan…?”
"Eigo...? Gingerbread!"
In short, Jeopardy was a wild success, I think even impressing my JTEs who were more reserved about the game idea. One of the best moments came from one of my third grade classes (American equivalent to ninth grade) for the Jeopardy question: "Santa Claus brings us presents on this day." One of the students immediately threw his hand up in the air, and looked quite pleased with himself to have come up with the answer first. His answer?
"ERUFU!"
In the months that I've been here, I don't think I've ever seen my JTE laugh so hard. How the student determined that December 24th meant "elf," I'll never know. But he was positively outraged
when his team lost 20 points, and even more outraged when another team answered
correctly.
While I could quote something from every lesson, one of the
other funny conversations was between me, a few students and one of my JTEs:
“Why do you have Christmas?” – Student
“Because that was the day Jesus was born.” – Me
“What do you call Jesus Christ in Japanese?” – JTE
“Santa San!” – Student
“Chiga.” – JTE
“Santa Clausu…?” – Student
I have to give the student credit for effort. Although, as another ALT pointed out to me, I
shouldn’t be too surprised; he’d once seen a crucified Santa in a city around
Christmastime. And considering how we
personify Easter with bunnies and Peeps, it’s no wonder the Japanese have
generally confused ideas regarding western religions.
So as I finish my last load of
laundry and pack my bags for my first solo international flight back to the
U.S. for Christmas and New Year’s, I’m really excited to just be home. I know that while I’m home I’ll have to make
some tough decisions, but for now I’m looking forward to spending time with my
family and friends, and munching on a California burrito from Roberto’s on the
beach.
Seriously, I’ve been having dreams
about Mexican food for about a month now.
I wake up extremely disappointed when I wake up and there is no carnitas
is sight. At this rate, I would settle
for some nachos from Taco Hell.
Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanza! Happy Boxing
Day! Happy New Year’s! Succinctly,
Happy Holidays. :)
1Fun Fact: Gobo is apparently where the yakuza (Japanese mafia) stow their
money. But you didn’t hear that from me.
2For those of you who don’t know, I live for
Jeopardy like hardcore.



Merry Christmas! I always love reading your posts - you are such a god story-teller! I think it is hilarious that they really love Mariah Carey :) Yes, Western religions can be very confusing, even to the Westerners! I hope you are having an amazing time at home! Miss you! <3
ReplyDelete