It’s hot. It’s humid. Really humid. I now remember the feeling of living in a
green house. I didn’t miss it.
However, despite the muggalicious weather,
I’m trying my best to explore Shingu and the surrounding areas as much as
possible. This past weekend, I went to
the Shingu Fireworks Festival and a Turtle Park in neighboring Kiho in Mie
Prefecture.
The fireworks display in Shingu was
stunning; the last time I saw fireworks live was at Disneyland a couple of
years ago, and I saw a bunch of fireworks I’ve never seen before. Most notably the Niagara Falls fireworks;
they suspended a cable over the river and strung fireworks across it so that
when they were lit, it was like a domino effect until, once all the fireworks
were lit, they allowed gravity to send the sparks downwards to the river below
(hence the Niagara Falls moniker). Also,
because we sat on the river bed, the fireworks were lit so close to us, you
could feel the heat of the explosions and had to crane your neck to look at
them properly. Pretty cool.
| KABOOM! |
As for the Turtle Park, those
turtles were bosses! Not only were they
massive, they were so well trained (from years of practice, I’m sure) to be
fed, they just opened their mouths and expected you to toss the turtle chow (a
mixture of fish heads and squid) down below.
I could have sworn I saw one roll its eyes when I missed and it had to
dive for a piece of squid. (“Stupid foreigner….Chomp.”)
| Om nom nom nom. Eating squid guts, like a boss! |
If you want to see photos and video
of my weekend adventures, click here, especially if you want to see the Niagara Falls Fireworks! So cool! :)
This week, I’ll be going to a
summer festival in Kiho and the Kumano Fireworks Festival (which, I’ve been
told, is one of the biggest fireworks festivals in the country. I’m pretty stoked). In between that, I’m getting more accustomed to
the layout of the town. I can now get to
the Board of Education, City Hall, the grocery store and the train station all
by myself! ;) Although, to be honest, I
made a wrong turn while trying to get to the train station the other day, and a
very nice gentleman (who didn’t speak any English) was able to help me get back
on the right path.
Although I was able to ask him in stagnated
Japanese which way I needed to go, he still went out of his way to show me
which street to take, and walked with me a little while to make sure my
foreigner-self didn’t get lost again. I
appreciate the man’s kindness, and the kindness of those I’ve met while I’ve
been here, but the language barrier is still really frustrating. I’ve always felt as though it’s part of my
job to learn as much Japanese as possible while I’m here (if only for my own
sanity), and I feel badly for pantomiming all the time. In an earlier post, I made comment that I
hate in when people on shows like the Amazing Race yell at their taxi drivers
and implore locals for English, but I feel like I have a mild case of ARLBS
(Amazing Race Language Barrier Syndrome) every time I’m at the grocery store.
For example, every time I check
out, the cashier always (politely) tries to make small talk with me and tells
me the price of each item she scans. All
I can do is smile and nod my head.
Although I seriously doubt it, the cashier could very easily be asking
me “Americans are idiots, right?” (Amerika-jin baka nan desu ka, naa?) and I
would be nodding my head like an American idiot (2003 music reference FTW). I pick up words and phrases here and there,
but I still don’t feel comfortable replying in Japanese. I don’t know what’s worse, saying something
wrong or not saying anything at all.
Today, a delegation of students
left for a trip to Shingu’s sister city, and I joined the send-off crew. A couple of students said “hello” to me, and
I tried striking up a conversation with a few.
Even then, the language barrier was evident. My original question of “Are you excited for
your trip?” morphed into “Happy you go to America?” While the English scholar in my cringed, I
commend the students for at least trying their English with me – the new ALT – and
eager to show off their stuff. However,
this is just another perfect example of what to expect when school does
start. Learning a new language is hard
(trust me, I know from personal experience :P), but English is an especially
difficult language to learn – it has a lot of tricky rules and “sometimes laws”
(remember “i" before “e,” except after “c”? Why does “c” get so much special attention
among the rest of the consonants in the alphabet?). And everyone will be at different levels in
terms of understanding. While my job is
to teach English, it seems the bridge between theory and practice is Japanese.
Since I don’t have much to do at
the BOE yet (read: nothing), I’m resolved to learn more Japanese during my
downtime. I have a computer program that’s
supposed to help me learn conversational Japanese, and hopefully that will tide
me over until October when JET sends me their official language study program
(really JET, we’re here in August, yet we don’t get the program until October?). Everyone keeps emphasizing to me that I’m an
ambassador; aren’t ambassadors supposed to have at least some basic
understanding of the predominantly spoken language of the country they are visiting?
So, until school starts in September
(which will include a lot of “Hajimemashites” and
introductions in pantomime, I’m sure) my mission will be to get as comfortable
with the town as possible and learn as much Japanese as I can. I honestly cannot remember the last time I
was excited about school starting up again (read: Disillusioned NERD). Only two more weeks until school starts! But, then again, who’s counting?
No comments:
Post a Comment